Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Good day for life, bad day for headaches.

Today hasn't been a bad day. I went on a field trip with one of my education classes. We visited a school that is doing some pretty cool things with technology. It was nice getting away from Starkville and my classes for a day. I got to sit in on four different high school classes and talk to some of the students and teachers. Being in a high school and talking to students and teachers really confirmed that teaching is what I want to do with my life--what I'm supposed to do. So all in all, it's been a good day.

Headaches always seem to ruin the best of days, though. I expected it to happen. It was raining when I woke up, I had to ride on a bus for four hours, I had to be engaged for seven hours, and high schools have really loud bells--all of which are triggers for migraines. I took a lot of pain medicine today to dull the pain to a tolerable level, but then I was in a sort of fog. So it wasn't a great day as far as pain goes.

I made it though, and that's what matters. I'm learning not to judge how good or bad a day or event or situation is by my level of pain. As long as I'm able to get out of bed and continue with my life, I can look past the pain. If I take my attention off my pain to a degree and find something else on which to focus, I can cope much more easily. It makes for fewer depressing days and a better quality of life.

So even though today has been pretty painful, it's been a good day.

1 comment: