Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Being proactive.

I'm not only making an attempt to be more positive, but more proactive as well. I'm learning things about myself and about life with migraines and accepting that maybe life just has to be a little different for me. Not bad, just different.

The first proactive thing I've started doing is going to bed at the same time every night. That seems like an easy one, but in college things happen late at night. Last night, for instance, my roommate invited me to go somewhere at 10 PM. I had to be lame and say, "No thanks. It's past my bedtime."

I am also trying to start exercising. I get easily discouraged when it comes to exercise. I get tired super fast. Before my migraines got really bad I was in pretty good shape. I mean, I couldn't run a marathon, but I could run a mile or two. And I could walk all day and not be phased. Now sometimes I have to take a break halfway up the stairs in my apartment. I need to work on that though. I miss things like dancing and riding a bike. So I've started walking. Right now I can't walk fast or far, but it's something.

There are several other little things I've started doing with my new proactive mindset. I'm more careful about how I eat, knowing the way I eat affects the way I feel. I wore my sunglasses during class the other day. The teacher stopped in his lecture to laugh at me, and then the whole class turned around and laughed, but it kept me from getting a migraine from the sun coming through the window. I've started making sure I have headphones with me and putting them in when it gets too noisy around. I drink water like it's my job, knowing being even a little dehydrated will trigger a migraine. And so goes the list...

I'm working on it. I'm at a point now where I'm no longer in denial. It's nice. It's a good place to be. And I think my little head appreciates it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment